Wednesday 6 April 2011

Stress less


I think that most of our stress comes from uncertainty.  Yesterday, I gave our receptionist an assignment, which involves quite a lot of work.  I agreed with her that we will discuss the project plan on Friday.  She was very quiet the rest of the day.  This morning when I talked to her again and gave her a deadline of the end of the month, she gave a HUGE sigh of relief as she thought everything had to be done on Friday.  She said she had so much stress last night and didn't know how she would complete this assignment in such a limited time.  If she just asked for clarity, her stress would have been a lot less.

Uncertainty about the future, relationships, tasks etc. can cause us a lot of stress.  Sleepless nights, over eating (or not eating at all), irritation, arguments with people close to us.  This makes me think of a quote (I don't know who said it, but is so true) "Worry is like a rocking chair, it gives us something to do, but takes us nowhere."  My plan to reduce stress has two elements:
  1. Controlling what I can
  2. Letting go what I can't
I can control asking for clarity if I don't understand something and I can control my attitude and behaviour, but I can't control what others do and what the future holds.  Today I am letting go!

My prayer for today:
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace.
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His will;
that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him forever in the next.
Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment